Please forward this error screen to 158. Founded in 1532 by Royal Charter for the teaching of ‘good manners and literature’, the school was endowed by wealthy Bristol merchants Robert and Nicholas Thorne to educate the sons of the city’s merchants and tradesmen. Founded as an all-boys junior english grammar book pdf, Bristol Grammar is now fully co-educational having first admitted girls in 1980.
Grapes From Thorns”, is a play upon the names of the school founders Robert and Nicholas Thorne. The Grammar Scole at Frome Gate was in the care of its first schoolmaster, Thomas Moffat, when good fortune stepped in to secure its future. They wished to endow a school where the sons of Bristol merchants and tradesmen could receive an education. By 1767, the buildings were cramped. Unity Street, further up the hill. This exchange was carried out, and Charles Lee proceeded to enjoy his new school by greatly reducing the numbers of boys.
The School was set to rights in 1812, but education was moving away from the classics and this caused further problems resulting in the school being closed in 1844. It received a new scheme in 1847 and re-opened in January 1848 with 300 pupils. Endowed Schools Commission that the school was “full to overflowing” with 240 boys. The first buildings in Tyndalls Park were occupied in 1879: the Big School, with its Great Hall, and the Headmaster’s House, a modest dwelling which is now the Junior School. These have been rebuilt as art rooms and rehearsal rooms, but the Winterstoke wing still houses the laboratories which were added in 1914. The Preparatory School began in 1900, and in 1928 moved into its own building on Elton Road, but this was destroyed on the night of 24 November 1940 by incendiary bombs. The Prep Hall, which survived, is now the Mackay Theatre.